For many this year has been eventful yet uneventful at the same time it might be hard to find things you are grateful for.
Take some time as the year comes to an end to practice gratitude. Sometimes you can get stuck on what you have lost or missed out on, but take time to reflect on what have you gained or what you have come to appreciate that you already have.
“Gratitude is one of the sweet shortcuts to finding peace of mind and happiness inside. No matter what is going on outside of us, there’s always something we could be grateful for.” — Barry Neil Kaufman
Gratitude is an important component of your mental health and overall wellbeing.
5 Suggestions to Find Gratitude for this Past Year:
1. Make a list of something you were grateful for each month. Some months may be easier to remember something to be grateful for than others but find something each month. It could be as simple as a friend sending you a text that made you smile when you were having a bad day.
2. Find the ABC’s of gratitude. Make a list of something you are grateful for that starts with every letter of the alphabet.
3. Go old school and write and mail a thank you note to someone who has been there for you this past year.
4. Make a gratitude video for yourself. When did you show yourself kindness? Did you let yourself rest or reach out for help when you need it? Make a short video message to thank yourself for all that you have done for yourself.
5. Make a gratitude board. You can use pictures, magazines, quotes, your thoughts of gratitude, or drawings. Get creative and find representations of what you are grateful for.
You can try all or none of these ideas, but make sure to take time to practice gratitude for this last year.
Monica McNeeley is a licensed therapist, LCSW, provides online therapy in the state of California. She has been providing therapy services since 2011.
Check Out other blogs Monica has written and sign up to receive emails when Monica post a new blog.